Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Major update to gnuradio repository 'next' branch

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Major update to gnuradio repository 'next' branch
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:46:01 -0700

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Sylvain Munaut <address@hidden> wrote:

>> The changes at this point primarily affect the build of out-of-tree
>> C++ projects, which now need to link against libgnuradio-runtime
>> instead of libgnuradio-core.  We have supplied a new CMake module,
>> FindGnuradioRuntime.cmake, which you can use to replace your existing
>> FindGnuradioCore.cmake file.  The pkgconfig library name is now
>> gnuradio-runtime as well.
>
> Is there a way to have out of tree modules compatible with both 3.6 and 3.7 ?

For now, I think this could be accomplished with clever CMake hackery
(in the out-of-tree module) to attempt to detect libgnuradio-core vs.
libgnuradio-runtime, and set up the linkage appropriately.  The actual
runtime code hasn't changed, *yet*.

However, the 3.7 runtime C++ API will be undergoing the same virtual
private implementation overhaul as the C++ blocks API did, which will
make it incompatible with the current 3.6 API.  This is the reason it
will be a new major release number and being done on the 'next' branch
vs. the 'master' branch.

Johnathan