Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Radio frequency range description list?

From: Andre-John Mas
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Radio frequency range description list?
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 03:29:48 +0000

Hi,

In the absence of any existing solution I am interested in trying to put something together, possibly as a GitHub project?

Although a Wiki could be used, my focus is on a solution that is machine parsable, so any application could make use of it. I am not sure the best file format to use, but currently three come to mind:
  - xml
  - json
  - csv

From looking at some documents that list frequency allocations, I figure that the files would be split into individual files, that cover the allocation by ITU region, country and other group, with the footnotes being in files separate to the allocation list, so that they could eventually be localised if need be. Something like:

frequency-allocations/
   itu_region1.txt
   itu_region2.txt
   eu.txt
   uk.txt
   us.txt
footnotes/
   ca.txt
   us.txt
rules/
   us.txt

The fields I am thinking of are, at this point
 - frequency range
 - footnotes
 - rules
 - service type
 - service category
 - data format

This is a first stab, so any feedback would be useful. One thing that I seem to be struggling with is how best to specify information that would make it clear which data encoder/decoder to be using. For example, I can imagine an application detecting that you have selected a frequency range that corresponds to GPS and brings a view that shows the GPS data in a human readable form or that you are in a range that represents broadcasts TV and brings up a view that shows the broadcast data.

It may also be useful to have a list of channels, according to service type?

Please let me know what you think.

Andre