Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Talking about DSP and SDR [Was: On tunnel.py]

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Talking about DSP and SDR [Was: On tunnel.py]
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 10:08:48 -0400

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:

I'd suggest that Brian start formatting the page based on the list he
put above, but I think we might be better served by having someone
come up with a full page for something, like the OFDM model you
mentioned, so we can get a feel for how this will go and how the pages
will eventually look.

I setup a little outline of what I thought might be some of the big hitter topics here:

  http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/SignalProcessing

They are replicated here for comments and suggestions:

  Modulations
  Specific types of modulations - analog, digital and diversity in space, time and frequency are all welcome!

  Filtering
  IIR, FIR, adaptive, and even analog - all the techniques.

  Synchronization
  Carrier, symbol and timing recovery.

  Forward Error Correction
  Including data integrity! Quite an expansive topic.

  Hardware and Physics
  The impacts of the physical world on software defined radio. Cascade analysis, near-far problem, and channel models.

  Signal Identification and Classification
  Figuring out what is out there, and what it means to you. One mans noise is another mans signal. So which is it?

  Standards
  Dissecting and understanding specific industry standards such as 802.11, GSM, 802.15.4, etc.

Comments?  Thoughts?

I like the idea of starting with OFDM since it has gotten a major rewrite and is used extensively.  Is the majority of the OFDM rewrite in the next branch?

Brian