Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cheap reference clock using a cell phone

From: Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cheap reference clock using a cell phone
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 04:36:59 +0200

Not exactly new, but nice anyway :) I have been using the leakage of 13 MHz and its harmonics for more than a decade to calibrate other RF stuff on zero beat. It is relatively accurate, but could be better. The GSM base station usually do not have a GPS receiver here in Germany, I guess they still derive their clock from the backbone, with all inaccuracies such a system brings.

Atomic clocks (rubidium systems) are down in the two digit US$ range when buying a used one, they do a fine job and need nothing more but a power supply. I installed one into my old spectrum analyzer, this solves everything when a frequency is in question, and from that I calibrated the 52 and 64 MHz clocks for my USRP. More than sufficient :)

Ralph.