Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sampling glitch in the RX path

From: Miklos Maroti
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sampling glitch in the RX path
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 12:35:33 -0500

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply. Increasing the lead time will just delay
the occurrence of the storm of L's (when the host gets permanently
behind the USRP). Here is some data which supports this claim and I
think the TX/RX switch rate influences these:

1) I periodically send for 0.9 ms timed with tx_time, tx_sob, tx_eob,
followed by 0.1 ms gap. I use 20 ms lead time, and I measure the
number of seconds the flowgraph can run before it falls behind (lots
of L's). I have run this 3 times, and got 43 sec, 44 sec, 37 sec.

2) 0.9 ms TX, 0.1 ms RX, 30 ms lead, runs for 60 sec, 53 sec, 67 sec

3) 0.9 ms TX, 0.1 ms RX, 40 ms lead, runs for 107 sec, 87 sec, 104 sec

Thus run time increased linearly with the increase of the lead time.

4) 0.4 ms TX, 0.1 ms RX, 40 ms lead, runs for 55 sec, 62 sec, 54 sec

Thus if you increase the rate of TX/RX switches then the run time
decreases linearly

5) 1 ms TX, 1 ms RX, 20 ms lead, runs for 149 sec, 124 sec, 68 sec

6) 1 ms TX, 1 ms RX, 40 ms lead, runs for 391 sec, 219 sec, 283 sec

Thus decreasing the packet rate will increase the run time. In
scenario 5) and 6) it will gradually get more and more L's (between
packets) until it hits the wall. And I also observe U's but no O's
overruns. Thus as we are eating up our lead time and getting closer to
the edge the USRP is not getting enough data and the times are getting
worse and worse until all of the packets are in the past.

>From this I deduce that there must be an RX sampling glitch when
switching between TX/RX, no?

Best,
Miklos