[Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio shared library versioning

From: Philip Balister
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio shared library versioning
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:55:12 -0400

I've been looking at splitting up the library packages in OE for
embedded GNU Radio and have run across this issue in master.

[libgnuradio-filter-3.7git.so.0.0.0]
[libgnuradio-core-3.7git.so.0.0.0]
[libboost_date_time-mt.so.1.48.0]

Comparing the strings extracted from the .so with readelf, we can see
the gnuradio libraries are not properly versioned (I show the boost one
for comparison).

I expect to see:

libgnuradio-filter.so.3.7.0

Not having a sane version number creates headaches for me when trying to
package the libraries cleanly and without a lot of hacking around.
Fixing the root problem would be a good thing, and make GNU Radio look
more like a professional system and not a prototyping one.

Does anyone have any inight into why this is like this before I start
looking at the problem?

Philip