Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio shared library versioning

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio shared library versioning
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:36:06 +0200

> So you are suggesting 3.7 should really be 4.0.0 for shared lib
> versioning sanity?

If you wanted to remove the version number from the lib name itself,
yes, there would be no real relation between the official "version"
3.7.x and the actual .so name.

Including the official name in the library itself seems common
(looking at my /usr/lib) when you have so drastic changes between
versions that you might as well consider them separate libs with no
change of operating anyway.

So I guess the current choice is probably not an accident and most
likely a good one.

Cheers,

    Sylvain