[Discuss-gnuradio] GR_TEST_TARGET_DEPS Settings?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR_TEST_TARGET_DEPS Settings?
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 19:24:51 -0400

I recently posted a "my bad", but it lead me to wonder why "make test" was
failing.  I had commit 64f8434d0 from 02-August-2013 installed, and had built
commit 9be83a4d from 16-August-2013 and was executing "make test" from that
build directory.  Tests were failing because a symbol was missing from a
library that, according to the debug output, should not have been being used.

So, today I spent some time playing around with GrTest.cmake and the settings
for GR_TEST_TARGET_DEPS.  For this test, I deactivated -all- installed versions
of GNU Radio. I then built (but did not install) 9be83a4d from 16-August-2013.
"make test" failed again for (almost?) all tests because libraries were not
found.  After poking around, I see that in the top-level CMakeLists.txt file,
GR_TEST_TARGET_DEPS is being set to "volk gnuradio-runtime".  Then, in many of
the components, I find 'set(GR_TEST_TARGET_DEPS "")'!  Which says to me that
this component has no internal dependencies; which is not going to be the case
except for maybe gruel or pmt.  And, the cmake test shell scripts reflect this
too (no internal dependencies).

Some of the components have actual dependencies set, e.g., gr-filter:
'list(APPEND GR_TEST_TARGET_DEPS test-gr-filter gnuradio-filter gnuradio-fft)'.
 But, again, some of the required libraries are still not being found.

I believe that most of the GR_TEST_TARGET_DEPS settings are not correct, and,
further, that in the top-level setting gnuradio-pmt should be added.

I'm happy to hack through this and figure out what needs to set and to what.
But, I'd prefer a sanity check from others (Linux or OSX) that shows that my
beliefs are founded.  So, can some other folks try -building- (not installing)
GNU Radio from the latest (master or next) with no other GNU Radio installed,
and see if "make test" works?  Thanks! - MLD