Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] read GPSDO data with GRC

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] read GPSDO data with GRC
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 11:09:04 +0200

Hi Francois,

I think you answered your question yourself:
There are ways to query the GPS module; however, these are queries and do not behave like sample streams or messages. Therefore, integration with the GRC does not really make much sense.
The GPSDO is just a device that is connected by serial line (and the clock and pps cables) to your USRP; it does not add any tags. Tags are a GNU Radio concept that neither the USRP nor UHD know about; your time, tune and rate tags are attached by the usrp_source GNU Radio block.
However, if you look into what the GPSDO does (e.g. synchronize your USRP's clock rate and internal real time clock to GPS),
you will find that reading the rx_time stream tags yield exactly the information that you could get if there was a pps tag attached to a sample every second by just counting the samples that you processed (which GNU Radio does for you), converting the number to an absolute time (which time_spec_t::from_ticks does for you), and subtracting you first samples' time.

So, basically, there's an easy way to add your own "every second there's a tag"-block. But since that seems to be application-specific, you're bound to write it yourself, which raises the question why you would do something like that when you can infer the time of each sample by just looking at its number.

So: Happy hacking,
Marcus