Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Proper block inheritance

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Proper block inheritance
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 16:07:56 -0700

On 09/05/2013 02:12 AM, Nemanja Savic wrote:
> HI all guys,
>
> I have 3 different packet deframers, and now I would like them to be able
> to send a message to a certain block about correct packet reception. In
> order to do that I want to make some "phantom" block that will have message
> out port.

Are you looking to have a sort of control block that can apply
configuration settings to these packet deframers? Either once at
init-time or at runtime based on some conditions? If so, this also might
make sense for you:

In GRAS, your deframers would register calls for configuring packet
reception:
https://github.com/guruofquality/gras/wiki/Codeguide#method-registration

In the top block, when you connect flows, you can also register the
blocks into a tree. The control block could then find the deframers at
runtime and apply new settings dynamically:
https://github.com/guruofquality/gras/wiki/Codeguide#wiki-zero-configuration

Its all GRC friendly and thread safe. You could do this with messages
too, it really depends what works best or makes the most sense. Anyway,
I have just been thinking about this kind of stuff and I wanted to share.

-josh