Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Summary of desires for GRC, just discuss on the #

From: Gregory Warnes
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Summary of desires for GRC, just discuss on the #ghuradio channel
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 09:35:44 -0400

>    o some kind of "organizer" for parameters and variables

I'll take one of those, please.  I can see how it might be a tricky feature though.  Do you aggregate existing variables, but allow editing/viewing them from a single pane, or just scrap it all and have one multi-variable block?

I would go with simply either adding a new multi-variable block, or modifying the existing one to allow multiple variables.   Don't do any 'automatic' variable aggregation.

>    o A way to make "Note" blocks larger and maybe multi-line

Notes are cool, but their context can be easily lost when moving blocks around.  I always thought that each block ought to have a "comment" field among the other properties, which is just a dumb text blob.  When you generate the python, this could even be inserted as a real python comment.  I can't say how many times I've opened a block and thought, why is that property set to that value?  A contextual comment for the block would help there I think.  If you want to get really crazy, you could even display a truncated version of it on the block itself in the FG, the same way values are shown.

I second the request for a 'notes' field for all blocks, but also want to have a more flexible 'note' block.   Ideally, it would support multi-line (HTML-formatted?) text, and allow setting the size/shape manually.

-Greg