Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bug in freq_xlating_fir_filter_XXX

From: Achilleas Anastasopoulos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bug in freq_xlating_fir_filter_XXX
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 23:01:03 -0400

I attach the patch for this correction
(for some reason I cannot git push...)

Achilleas

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Achilleas Anastasopoulos <address@hidden> wrote:
Maybe I am wrong, but here is the idea:

the original taps are "taps".
then inside the freq_xlating filter new "combined" taps are generated
as follows

comb_t = taps_t *exp(-j A t)

then the COMBINED filter is reversed.
The effect of that is that essentially we have the filter

reversed_t = taps_{-t} *exp( + j A t)

If we drop the reversing part from the process (commenting out one line of code) we will end up
with the filter nonreversed with

nonrevered_t = comb_t = taps_t *exp(-j A t)

Comparing the reveresed and non-reversed we see that even when taps are symmetric, the frequency sign gas changed so we need to change it back!

let me know if i am missing something,
Achilleas

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Achilleas Anastasopoulos
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I will submit the patch.
>
> regarding the sign change in frequency, I didn't mean to change the
> convention:
> the sign change IS REQUIRED in order to KEEP the convention because now
> the taps are not reversed...
>
> Achilleas

Sorry, Achilleas, I'm not seeing it. In the common case of a symmetric
FIR filter, the reverse function doesn't change any behavior, but the
minus sine definitely does.

I don't see how reversing the order of the filter taps and changing
the sign have anything to do with each other.

Tom