Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-fosphor : New RTSA-like visualization block fo

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-fosphor : New RTSA-like visualization block for GNURadio using GPU acceleration
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 22:02:15 +0100

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM, Darren Long <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 27/10/13 17:46, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
>>
>> Since the whole idea being fosphor is to never just "drop" data, to slow
>> down the waterfall, multiple FFT results must be "aggregated" with either
>> min/max/avg functions and that's a bit more tricky to implement. Cheers,
>> Sylvain
>

> Actually, with the chunk size hack, the waterfall is just about OK at 192kHz
> sample rate, but it is still a little jerky.  Could we have a buffering
> option to buffer the waterfall for some time before scrolling?
>
> I'd like to be able to use this with my KX-3 perhaps as slowly as 48kHz :)

Daren,

Do what exactly?
The purpose with gr-fosphor is to visualize more data that what is
possible with snapshot-type FFT. This ensures that no data is lost
between to screen updates. But for such low bandwidth you can just
plot everything without loosing any information. You could do some
history buffering and averaging to get the look and feel of gr-fosphor
but it will not give you the same real time effect. It will be the
plain old "FFT averaging" concept that we know  and you don't even
need a GPU to do that.

Alex