Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] trouble with gr_multiply_const_ff

From: Ian Buckley
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] trouble with gr_multiply_const_ff
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 22:17:58 -0800

Lee,
What Marcus and Tom are telling you is that when a signal reaches a USRP Sink
in GNURadio it is transformed into an integer representation that is weighted
so that the integers represent values -1 <= x < 1.

Input values with magnitudes larger than these will be saturated to these
limits, which of course alters (destroys) the signals spectrum.

Ideally your flow graph should try to deliver signals to a USRP sink that have
been scaled so that they are slightly within these constraints to maximize the
dynamic range offered by this (16Bit) integer representation, hence Marcus's
suggestion that you target 0.8 as a maximum amplitude of your signal.

The various USRP daughter card products have different available programable
analog gain ranges for the TX amplifiers, and these are controlled by the Gain
parameter of the USRP sink. Generally the highest gain values will completely
saturate the analog output stages of the Daughter card, given a full range
digital input signal. You will need to empirically determine a gain value that
obtains the maximum rated power from the daughter card, given your input
signal, without driving the output stage into saturation.

-Ian