[Discuss-gnuradio] Test Branch for OSX Audio Sink Changes

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Test Branch for OSX Audio Sink Changes
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 09:29:27 -0500

I've created a branch for folks to try out with changes to the gr-audio-osx
code, the sink only for now.  Hopefully this branch addresses GR issue #623 <
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/issues/623 > for the sink (I'm working on the
source separately; it's more involved not just for this bug but overall).

< https://github.com/michaelld/gnuradio/tree/fix_gr_audio_osx_sink >

My commit (7571ef40) entry reads as follows:
{{{
Fix OSX Audio Sink:
+ remove extra instantiation arguments;
+ search for and use the device name, if found;
+ if the device name is not found, print out a list of known device names and
use the default audio output device;
+ dynamically handle the number of output channels, depending on graph topology;
+ various whitespace and comment changes;
+ various CamelCase to lower_case changes;
+ WIP: when using the default output device, set up a listener, which will
(eventually) tear down and bring back up audio output to match the new output
device.
}}}

On my Mac, I have just 1 audio output device: "Built-in Output".  I can select
this device when running a audio sink (e.g., dial_tone.py -O "Built-in
Output"), but that's sort of silly since there's just 1 device from which to do
selection.  I've ordered a couple rtl-sdr hardware devices which should provide
another option, but until they get here there's not much more I can do to test
out this branch.  The audio output works just as before, with whatever sample
rate I throw at it.  I have not tried start / stop, but they should now work
correctly too & I will test this sooner or later.

I'm hoping other OSX users can help me out here, by building and installing
this branch and testing the audio output capabilities.

I'll now move on to working on the audio source, and post another email like
this once it's done.

Thanks! - MLD
--
Michael Dickens, OSX Programmer