Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio 3.6.4.1 Windows 7 Install - Wx UI Scope

From: Bhaskar11
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio 3.6.4.1 Windows 7 Install - Wx UI Scope Sink Freeze
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:18:39 +0530

a. The "No such file or directory" suggests a paths problem.

b. The "Permission denied" suggests an access rights problem. Try logging in with Administrator rights. Windows 7 onwards is very picky with rights issues.

c. The "TypeError: ("No array-type handler for type <class 'ctypes.c_ulong'>" suggests a conflict of library versions.

Some suggested steps to fix:

1. Start with a clean install. Undo all the changes you made with Notepad and directory renaming. Unintall Python, GNURadio, etc. Reboot.

Check that all Python, GNURadio and related directories are empty, otherwise delete manually. Reboot.

2. Login with full Administrator rights. Now install of Python, GNURadio, etc. with the exact versions recommended in the "Successful installation of GNURadio 3.6.4.1 on Window XP and Windows 8" thread.

Do not make any manual changes with Notepad, etc.

3. Check your paths. Did you set the paths correctly in "systems variables" and not "user variables"?

Run a "cmd" window and type "SET" to check all the environment variables for the PYTHONPATH and GRC_BLOCKS_PATH and PATH contents.

Correct the paths if needed.

4. Run your code with full Administrator rights.

5. If "WX UI Scope Sink" still freezes, check if other WX widgets work ok. If they are ok, then try to change the "WX UI Scope Sink" settings.

Let us know what works. Good luck! :)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Carl Allen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to GNU Radio and I followed the new windows install directions
> listed in the thread "Successful installation of GNURadio 3.6.4.1 on Window
> XP and Windows 8"  for my Windows 7 machine (intel 64 bit OS).  Everything
> installed okay except when I created a simple chain in the gnu
> radio-companion (signal source, throttle, and WX UI Scope Sink) the WX GUI
> Scope Sink freezes before plotting anything.
>
> I followed the directions mentioned in "WX GUI Scope frozen and error-msg
> gr_vmcircbuf_default_factory: Invalid argument" thread with no success.
> Namely 1) I created C:\Users\"myname"\.gnuradio\config.conf in notepad with
> " [wxgui]" ," style = nongl"  2) renamed the openGL file folders in
> C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\ directory.
>
> Not sure if this is related, but I can not run the gnuradio-companion.py
> from the command prompt.  In order to run the script I have to open it run
> it from the python IDE.
>
> Below I included the messages from the GNU Radio Companion and the WxPython
> window below.  The error message listed in the wxPython window was:
>   "TypeError: ("No array-type handler for type <class 'ctypes.c_ulong'>
> (value: c_ulong(0L)) registered", <OpenGL.converters.CallFuncPyConverter
> object at 0x02F8E730>)
>
> Note that the WxPython message is the same message posted in the thread
> "Gnuradio 3.7.2 Windows?."  I could not find a resolution to this problem in
> the archives or by searching the net so any assistance would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Carl

Hi Carl,

Any progress on this problem? It would be nice to get an answer, but
I'm afraid it's going to take someone who understands Windows better
than I do. Not being able to run gnuradio-companion from the command
line suggests a bigger problem, possibly related to paths, which might
be the cause of something.

Tom