Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Running GNU Radio on Linux in VMware Workstation

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Running GNU Radio on Linux in VMware Workstation
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:29:07 +0100

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Mike Harpe <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have been working for a week or so on getting GNU Radio going on a Debian
> Linux platform running inside a VM.
>
> GNU Radio is compiled and runs fine. The VM sees my Funcube Pro+ dongle.
> Using 'plughw:0,0' got rid of the audio stuttering problem. After struggling
> with a couple of the demo flowgraphs I downloaded and built gqrx.
>
> It runs. I can tune it to the local NOAA Weather Radio transmitter. I use
> that for testing because its very strong where I am. I have the same problem
> there that I have in GNU Radio: no receive audio.
>
> Can anyone give me some advice how to proceed? To answer the one question,
> yes, I am pursuing building a Debian system on a flash drive that I can boot
> natively.
>
> Mike Harpe, N4PLE
> Sellersburg, IN, USA

You can specify the audio output device globally for your system by
editing $prefix/etc/gnuradio/conf.d/gr-audio-alsa.conf (I'm assuming
that's what you are working with given the use of plughw). You can set
that 'plughw:0,0' in as the 'default_output_device' argument. If you
are running PulseAudio, you can use 'pulse' for this, too, which tends
to work more reliably for me these days.

Tom