Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Measuring the Level of a Peak in a Signal

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Measuring the Level of a Peak in a Signal
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:29:59 +0100

Hi George,

practical implementation aside: Thanks to Parseval's theorem, looking
at relative signal strength in frequency and time domain is equivalent.
You can just use a number sink or time sink with a low pass filter to
visualize the received signal power of the carrier. If you're feeling
like doing things completely right, you can automatically fine tune to
the carrier by using PLL carrier tracking ;)

As for implementation: there is the max block. What you could do is:
PLL -> low pass -> complex to mag² -> integrate -> stream to vector ->
max/argmax (depends on what you actually want to do)
but that will not "update" your maximum during runtime but only find
the maximum within a vector.

However, implementing an "always output the (abs)maximum float value"
block is really easy as a python block - in fact, doing that might be
a great start into developing GNU Radio blocks. Doing it somewhat
optimized might need some thought, though ;)

Greetings,
Marcus

PS: please make sure not to respond to previous posts when bringing up
a new topic; otherwise, your post will appear in that thread and is
more likely to be ignored.