[Discuss-gnuradio] Sheduler: do not consume all "input items" and return

From: Alex W.
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sheduler: do not consume all "input items" and return 0 "output items"
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 18:10:06 +0200

Hello everyone,

when writing blocks for my projects I find it to be convenient to design them as FSMs:

A switch-instruction with states A, B und C. In all states fixed numbers of input_items are processed, then I call "consume(i, fixed_number_X)" and "return fixed_number_X". I do not process all input_items but let the sheduler do the work.

1) Does it deteroarate the performance of my flowgraph when I do not consume and return as much items as possible? (The fixed numbers are 500 to 1000). If yes, how much?

Also, I wrote a block which crosscorrelates the input stream with a stored sequence. It always returns 0 output_items, only when the crosscorrelation exceeds a threshold, a fixed number of samples is passed to the next blocks.

2) Is this a proper way to implement a block for packatized data? Or does it deteroarate the performance of my flowgraph if I return 0 output_items most of the time?

Thanks,
Alex