Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation issues with gnuradio on Ubuntu 12.04

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installation issues with gnuradio on Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 08:28:44 -0700

You can have custom install locations by telling the
build-gnuradio script to not do the build. For example:

./build-gnuradio -m prereqs gitfetch

This will perform the resolving of prerequisites, get
the source code and use the HEAD of the master
branch (which has the very latest commits to GnuRadio).

Then you can do the build in a separate step.
Chose an install directory that makes sense
for you. /opt works well since it has the correct
permissions.

cd gnuradio
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/gnuradio ..
make
sudo make install

This will build GnuRadio and install it in /opt/gnuradio

The down side is that you'll have to build all the other
modules that you need (UHD, gr-osmosdr, gr-iqbal, etc.)
one by one. Make sure you use the same install
directory with cmake.

It should be noted that once you have all the prerequisites
on your machine, you don't have to run build-gnuradio
again. Assuming you haven't changed any of the
prerequisites, you can just git clone GnuRadio and
build it like above.

Ron