[Discuss-gnuradio] Filter design

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Filter design
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:01:00 +0200

Hello,

GNURadio offers three different interfaces to design filters from Python
code: gnuradio.filter.firdes.xxx, gnuradio.filter.firdes.xxx_2, and
gnuradio.filter.optfir.xxx.

The three interfaces use different parameters to specify the filter
properties, but the only obvious difference is that the optfir is coded
in python and thus not available to be used elsewhere.

Which one is recommended to use? Can anyone suggest a reference that
explains how the filter taps are computed?

In my data analysis code I usually use Butterworth filters. If there is
any analogy, how do those map to the filters designed with the above tools?

Thanks. Best,
Daniele