Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on ubuntu touch

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on ubuntu touch
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 08:24:37 -0400

On 08/06/2014 04:56 AM, Marcus Müller wrote:
We don't have much optimization for ARMs yet, and I assume that the rtl-sdr source somewhere has to convert from whatever comes through USB into floats. Furthermore, USB2 bulk transfer has a maximum packet length of 512B [citation needed], which would at an assumed 2B/complex equal but 256 == 2^8 Samples/package. Now let 1MS/s \approx 2^20 S/s = 2^12 USB packets per second. That *can* be lot for a CPU running at 1GHz, because a USB handler in the Kernel has to handle each of them, they have to be put through libusb (which is luckily very efficient) and then converted by rtl-sdr/gr-osmo into something that your flowgraph can deal with. Then you get the GNU Radio scheduling overhead, which includes at least one copy from libusb/rtl-sdr buffer to a GNU Radio buffer, and then you get the filesystem overhead, which can be significant depending on what kind of file system you use. Then you get the overhead of accessing the storage device. I don't know the banana pi, but I'd take a chance and say it's a USB storage device, so you get the same hassle as on the RTL dongle side, but on this side with higher data rates. Or, you are storing to an SD card, which could simply be too slow, as Vanush correctly assumes (trick: most SD cards today have a "Class N" printed on them; that's a usually slightly exaggerated multiplicator for a 2MB/s write rate.

Greetings,
Marcus
Also, the rPI (and clones) is a pretty-anemic CPU.  Think of it as being about 1/5th to 1/8th as powerful as your garden variety desktop X86 machine.

I think the culprit here is a mix, though, as Marcus M. says.

Even a class-10 SD card is about 1/5th as fast as a good hard disk or SSD.