Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on ubuntu touch

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio on ubuntu touch
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 17:11:28 +0200

doing your computations on a reduced sampling rate always makes a lot of sense.

Also, if you do complex to mag² prior to filtering, you get the power in the overall nyquist band ignoring power fluctuations that do not pass the low pass, and not the power in the pass band of the filter.

Example: Assume we have a complex sine at frequency $f>f_\text{cutoff}$  $s(t) =
      e^{2\pi j f t}$. It has a constant mag² of $|s|^2 = 1$.
Now, the low pass of a constant 1 is still 1.
Now, let's low pass first with a filter $h(t)$ and then mag². Assume filter stop band attenuation is infinite, then $r(t) = h(t) *
      s(t) = 0$ because $f>f_\text{cutoff}$. It follows that $|r|^2 = 0 \neq
      1$.

Yet another side note: have a look at the polyphase filter banks (PFBs) that are relatively new in GNU Radio, if you want to process multiple sub-bands at once.

Greetings,
Marcus