Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC] Co-Processors Update #9

From: Alfredo Muniz
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC] Co-Processors Update #9
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:23:03 -0700

Hey Philip, nice to have you back.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Philip Balister <address@hidden> wrote:
I doubt depending on contiguous memory will ever work for GNU Radio.
I've heard a lot of talk about changing the guts of GNU Radio, but no
real action. Especially given GNU Radios dependence on double mapped
buffering to handle wrap around.

What lead me to believe this would work was a little test that I ran. I basically had two blocks print their virtual address, the block on the left printed the write_pointer, block on right printed the read_pointer. From looking at the buffer QA tests, the write_pointer and read_pointer point to the buffers. What I observed was a giant buffer that contained three buffers inside it. So GNU Radio would write to one of the buffers during one cycle then move on to the next the next cycle until it wraps around after the third cycle. When it wraps around it starts at a different starting address for whatever reason but it is predictable. I suppose changing this behavior to actually use the same start addresses for each buffer would help.