Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR, USRP, and GPIB measurements

From: madengr
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR, USRP, and GPIB measurements
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:38:58 -0700 (PDT)

1) I set the gain of the WBX to 15 dB, which is why our values do not match.
If I use 0 dB WBX gain I get the following for a -40 dBm tone:

400 MHz, k=-30.6
900 MHz, k=-25.5
1.8 GHz, k=-19.2

There should be no computational differences between the GUI and frequency
sinks.

2)  The channel gain is the RX gain; it's the same thing.  The WBX receive
side has two fixed gain stages followed by 0 - 31.5 dB of digital
attenuation.  That's what you are setting for the gain in the UHD; a gain of
31.5 dB equates to 0 dB attenuation setting.  Yes, you have to offset the
computed power by RX gain if you want the reading to stay constant.  Note
the n*log10()+k block does not allow k to me changed in real-time, so you
have to multiply each sample by a constant.  You must do the same if you
want to calibrate the spectrum.  See example here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49570443/power_calc_2.grc

I have no idea about the differences between the WX and QT frequency sinks.
They should give identical results with identical settings.

3) The channel power and spectrum are totally different computations, so
they must have different calibration factors.  See my linked example.

4) For finding intermod levels, you use the same math for the channel power
calculation, but narrow the channel with a frequency translating filter and
decimation.  Either tune to each intermod product or have multiple
channelizers in parallel.  This is where it may be more efficient to do the
FFT and find the peaks, but it's harder to program that.

Thanks,
Lou
KD4HSO

Gayathri Ramasubramanian wrote