Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR, USRP, and GPIB measurements

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR, USRP, and GPIB measurements
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:42:13 -0400

-8dBm may, or may not, have damaged either of the the two LNA stages on the WBX.

"Modern" WBXen have TVS and limiter diodes in front of both stages to try to ameliorate laboratory accident consequences, but they offer no firm guarantees.

Nearly all of the receivers on USRP daughtercards are designed to be connected to an antenna, which means a low-noise stage "up front".  This means that using them in the lab requires some prudence and caution, such as putting a 30dB attenuator in front of the device before connecting it to a laboratory signal generator.  There are several orders-of-magnitude difference between the average power levels you'd expect from an antenna, and what you'd typically be trying in the lab, so when you're working in the lab, padding the input with 30dB of attenuation is just a really prudent practice.

Modern RF LNA transistors are, for the most part, "precious little princesses".  They have gate regions that are only a few molecules thick, and "high" currents flowing in these areas will cause holes to form in the gate layer, which will quickly affect gain and noise figure, and then lead to complete device failure.  You can put clamping diodes in front (as Ettus now does on its xBX daughtercard series), but such devices cannot protect in all cases, and they compromise ultimate noise figure and gain a little bit.

Thus, ahem, endeth the sermon of the day.  We turn now to the hymn book "Glory unto GaAs".  :) :)