Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio scheduler behind the scene

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio scheduler behind the scene
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 16:08:14 -0500

On 12/26/2014 03:47 PM, Martin Braun wrote:

Oh, but a written document with lots of pictures would surely be easier
to understand, you might say? Well, first of all, that's highly
subjective. Maybe, if we had someone highly skilled in technical
writing, we might be able to make such a document. But again, it would
be absurdly expensive, with questionable return of investement.

Being a free software project, pointing people to the code is one of the
few luxuries we have. What could be a more concise explanation of the
source code than the code itself?
I'll augment what Martin said by observing that even in long-established, *commercial* code-bases, a "structured walk-through" document that gives a re-expressed in plain English and pictures overview is actually, in practice, a bit of a rarity. In my 35+ years being involved in software development, I've only seen it on a few projects, and only on projects that had reached a development stagnation, where it was largely just in maint mode, which meant it was perhaps reasonable to invest in tech-writing resources to provide stable "internals" documentation.

Nothing is preventing anyone from writing such a document, and contributing it. But since this is open-source, people largely work on what they *want* to work on. There's no paycheque (or threat of the lack of paycheque) hanging over peoples heads, forcing them to work on things they don't really want to work on. And *most* developers aren't particularly-motivated tech-writers,
  and neither are they, for the most part, very good at it...

In fact, following the "Don't Repeat Yourself" principle, it would be a
bad idea to duplicate the structure in documentation. A high-level
description of the scheduler is something else, of course, but that's
why Tom made aforementioned presentation.

What if the code is badly written and hard to parse? Again, that's
subjective to a degree. But if something looks really badly written, or
could use an additional comment, there's always the mighty tool called
'pull request'.
We even fixed the spelling in one the scheduler's comments recently :)

On top of reading the code, I suggest asking specific questions here
(such as what does function x exactly do). This might encourage others
to read the code and also we'll have more info in the mailing list archives.

Cheers,