Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upper Sideband Demodulation

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upper Sideband Demodulation
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 15:32:13 +0100

Hello Wen Bin,

for me, "upper side band" modulation implies the following, assuming we're already in complex baseband, with the middle between USB and LSB shifted to 0 Hz: (imagine this is a frequency axis):

<---- -f_sample/2 --- LSB --- f_center==0Hz --- USB --- +f_sample/2 ---->

If I understand you correctly, you only want to see positive frequencies; Weaver's method (or its inverse) would simply shift USB by -f_sample/4 and apply a low pass filter or f_sample/4 passband. If the filtering was done perfectly, then the newly generated complex baseband signal will contain exactly the information originally in your USB. If that suits your needs completely depends on what you actually are transmitting in your USB and what you want to do with it. So: No one can tell you whether there's a better method other than you ;) because you know what you need.

Regarding efficiency: Doing the frequency shift, the low pass filtering and a decimation can be done at once using the xlating FIR filter block. Try it, you'll like it; it's heavily optimized.

Greetings,
Marcus