[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP B200 host BW with USB 3.0/2.0

From: Jorge Gallo
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP B200 host BW with USB 3.0/2.0
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:48:07 +0100

I understand the given values of host bandwidth for each protocol:

USB 2.0                  8 (MS/s @ 16-bit I/Q)

USB 3.0                61.44 (MS/s @ 16-bit I/Q)

However I would like to process 40MHz of analogue BW in GNURadio over USB 2.0

I fully understand  a continuous reception is not possible to manage since it would require 40 IQ MS/s and I am limited to 8MS/s.

However, is it possible to take snapshots of 40MHz over the time so that I am able to receive bits of 40MHz with USB 2.0 which are not continuous in time?

Are there buffers in the FPGA that manage this kind of operation?

The idea is to receive the high speed 40MHz in the FPGA and then send it over the USB 2.0. When it is accomplished we would be ready to receive another 40MHz sample block.

I am afraid the only alternative is to receive 5 times 8MHz (each at 8Ms/s) so that I get 40MHz of analogue BW in 5 different readings/reconfigurations of my GNURadio flowgraph. However I ask just in case....

Many thanks in advance,

Jorge.