Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] stream tagging at iregular periods of time

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] stream tagging at iregular periods of time
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 10:30:16 -0800

Hey Jorge,

I think Marcus answered your question, but some additional infos:

On 02.03.2015 04:08, Jorge Gallo wrote:
What if my custom burst each of them identified with a tag come at
non-defined periods of time? Do I have to develop the block as a
basic/sync block that read tags of each sample instead and forget about
tagged stream blocks?

If tags follow the TSB standard practice, all you need to do is derive your block from tagged_stream_block. It'll provide you with convenience functions to handle it.

Many thanks in advance. This is a really good community!

Jorge.

PS: At the beginning I found confusing that a Tagged File Sink is not a
Tagged Stream Block given its name but it is only my personal opinion

The name isn't perfect, and the 'tagged stream blocks' where named such after the 'tagged file sink' existed. Also, you can have streams that are tagged that are not 'tagged streams' in this specific definition. But this nomenclature just stuck, and we didn't have anything better at the time. Names are one of the hardest thing to get right in SW dev, after all :)