Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble with installation via PyBOMBS, on Ubuntu

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble with installation via PyBOMBS, on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 11:11:07 -0400

The default generation option in the Options Block is now "QtGUI", so if you're building a wxGUI flow-graph you'll have to change that to wxGUI.

On 2015-04-16 09:23, Random01 wrote:

Not a big fan of asking for help with something as mundane as this, but...

Simply ran out of 'grunt' from my Core2Duo MacBook Pro - pretty damn quick -
and have thus migrated across to an old Core2Quad that was lying around,
otherwise unused.

(Didn't struggle utilising MacPorts within OS X, to get GNU Radio / GRC
installed and running happily with my B200 - but I ran out of processing
headroom pretty quick nonetheless!)

So, embarked on a brand new journey with a freshly minted Ubuntu 14.04.2LTS
.iso and installed it from scratch on the Core2Quad, allowing the
installation to perform all of its updates unimpeded, then apt-get update
and upgrade.

It was mentioned here,
(http://gnuradio.4.n7.nabble.com/Installing-GNU-Radio-td50988.html), that
python-scipy has caused errors with the PyBOMBS installation of GNU Radio,
so next up was apt-get install python-scipy.

Lucky last, pulled the trigger and commenced the suggested route of using
PyBOMBS to get it done - (following to the letter the instructions as
below;)

git clone git://github.com/pybombs/pybombs

cd pybombs

./pybombs install gnuradio

Once complete, (Man, it took a while!), the final instructions carried out
also without a problem;

./pybombs env

Upon confirming the above file's location using the File Manager and then
cd'ing my way into this directory, (which just happened to be my Home
Directory), I fired the last command into Terminal;

source target/setup_env.sh

Everything seems to have gone off without a hitch, as upon any reboot - I
open Terminal, confirm I'm in my Home Directory and type 'source
target/setup_env.sh'

Next, typing 'gnuradio-companion' has me immediately where I need to be -
except...

Whenever I place any 'wx_gui' related blocks on the canvas, they all contain
the same 'Flow Graph Error', preventing execution outright;

(This error generated from attempting to use the WX FFT Sink, for example)

Error 0:
Block - wxgui_fftsink2_0 - WX GUI FFT Sink(wxgui_fftsink2):
 Can't generate this block in mode 'wx_gui'

So that's it.

I've had a good look at hunting for any mention of this as an issue within
this mailing list, and nothing.
(Same also within the Ettus mailing lists as well.)

No results for anyone having similar issues found via a generic Web Search
either.

Quick summary, here at my end -

Hardware:
Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L Motherboard
Core2Quad Q8200 with 4GB of DDR2 RAM
Using onboard Intel G33 GMA 3100 Graphics Chipset - (Is this the issue?)
Ettus Research B200 connected via USB2 - (for the moment)

Software:
Fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS - (latest available as of three days
ago)
Have allowed Ubuntu to fully self-update to its own satisfaction
apt-get update then upgrade
apt-get install python-scipy
then PyBOMBS installation of GNU Radio as per above.

Thanks in advance - (and thanks especially for tolerating my
Ubuntu-N00bness!)

Random