Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Memory issues

From: bob wole
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Memory issues
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 12:36:24 +0500

Marcus,

Certainly a type. Since Maricus did not mention any hardware sink I was just reminding him to add a throttle block if it is not there :)

--
Bob

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Bob,

Sorry I have to contradict here: when working with hardware, you should generally *never* use a throttle block. Maybe that was just a typo in your mail?

The reason is that the throttle blocks sole job is to call sleep functions for long enough to press the average rate of samples going through the throttle block is the set rate. Now, in a world where latency doesn't count and all clocks are identical, that's not a problem. However, in practice, this means that throttle might block for a relatively long time, when the numbers of samples it got in one work iteration are large. In the meantime, the downstream hardware might have run dry on samples, even if the throttle rate is higher than the sink's sampling rate!

Also, with rates produced by your computer's clock and the oscillator of a hardware sink, one has to be a little faster than the other, which leads to under or overflow problems sooner or later.

However, in the pure simulation case, I agree, you should add a throttle and see whether it helps.

Best regards,
Marcus