Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Win32 and gr-blocks/lib/stream_pdu_base.cc

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Win32 and gr-blocks/lib/stream_pdu_base.cc
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 23:43:42 +0200

Hi Gisle,

rest assured, there's no unfriendliness towards MSVC -- it's just that
we're currently really lacking people who have MSVC or even just Windows
experience, and hence, problems like these can go unnoticed.
Again, that's not a sign of anyone disliking MSVC, it's just that it's
been a while since most of us did development under Windows. Also, VOLK
is mainly hand-optimized assembler, so I really can't blame anyone who
didn't have acute access to MSVC to try with that; that being said, I'd
actually like to see more reports/wiki pages on how to successfully
build GNU Radio under Windows -- I think there was a thread lately, but
I can't seem to find it.

GCC shouldn't be the only compiler supported, seeing as clang is
probably used on OS X, if I'm not mistaken.

So, to illustrate this:
> the read() and write() functions are used on sockets. This doesn't
> work well on Windows as you're probably aware
Nope, at least I wasn't aware of any of that; that sounds strange to me,
because that's nothing you'd expect on a system with a Unixoid API
(which WinNT had, I thought).

I like your fix, but: I also find it scary. I'd rather go ahead and try
whether using send/recv on all platforms would work, too.

Best regards,
Marcus