Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Synchronous AM detector

From: Andy Walls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Synchronous AM detector
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 13:19:37 -0400

On Sat, 2015-10-24 at 12:00 -0400, address@hidden
wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 19:56:19 -0400
> From: "Marcus D. Leech" <address@hidden>
> To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Synchronous AM detector

> Has anyone done a synchronous AM detector, rather than envelope
> detector
> in GR?  I want to play around, just wondering if anyone else
>    has done it.

I would doubt it.

Coherent detection of OOK 2-ASK has little improvement (Eb/No of 11.5 dB
vs 12.3 dB and Pbe = 10^-4  [1]) over non-coherent detection in an AWGN
channel.  So it's generally not with the extra complexity.

Coherent detection of antipodal 2-ASK, a.k.a. BPSK, requires 3 dB less
energy for the same BER, compared to coherent detection of OOK 2-ASK in
an AWGN channel.

Do you have non-AWGN noise in the channel (e.g. nearby interferers)?

-Andy

[1] Carlson, A. Bruce; Crilly, Paul B.; "Communications_Systems: An
Introduction to Signals and Noise in Electircal Communication,"
McGraw-Hill, 2010, Chapter 14