Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fourier Transform on multiple OFDM symbols

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fourier Transform on multiple OFDM symbols
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 18:05:03 -0800

Here's the best I can do. This is with an OOT module that I developed for fooling around with spectrum painting, but it can be used to generate specific OFDM signals. The secret sauce is that although the amplitude of each carrier is controlled, the phase is random. Also, a super long cyclic prefix helps to separate the carriers.

https://github.com/drmpeg/gr-paint

Here's an example spectrum paint from an image.

https://twitter.com/drmpeg/status/664060519880355840

The receiver program is Gqrx. It's more useful since it can use very large FTT's (262144 in this case).

https://github.com/csete/gqrx

OFDM Gqrx

If you want to re-create this, I've uploaded the flow graph and test image.

http://www.w6rz.net/paint_tx.grc

http://www.w6rz.net/paint.bin

You'll also have to change two lines in gr-paint/lib/paint_bc_impl.cc

Line 51, change the FFT size to 64 so that there are less carriers in the 2 MHz bandwidth.

ofdm_fft_size = 4096;

ofdm_fft_size = 64;

Line 127, increase the amplitude since we've decreased the FFT size.

magnitude /= 10000000000.0;

magnitude /= 1000000000.0;

Ron