[Discuss-gnuradio] Using volk kernels on basic operations of gr_complex,

From: Gonzalo Arcos
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using volk kernels on basic operations of gr_complex, in my own custom blocks.
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 04:16:46 -0300

Hi,

I've been trying to optimize the performance of a flowgraph, that do a lot of operation with gr_complex data. The majority of these operations are multiplications, additions, etc.

I have seen GNU Radio has blocks that implement these functions, and saw that in their implementations these blocks call volk kernels.

My question is if it should be worth it for me to change the code to call those volk kernels as well.. so if i had before:

complex1 = complex2 + complex3;

now i would just call the volk kernel.

these kind of affects readibility of the code (it is more natural to use the sum operator), but if it means that the performance could improve, i guess it is worth it. Of course i can define an inline function sum(complex a, complex b), so it is not all that bad.

Just wanted to ask the more experienced users if you think this idea is worth a shot, or the performance improvement will be marginal.