Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using volk kernels on basic operations of gr_comp

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using volk kernels on basic operations of gr_complex, in my own custom blocks.
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:58:21 +0100

> Just wanted to ask the more experienced users if you think this idea is
> worth a shot, or the performance improvement will be marginal.

Performance improvement is vastly dependent of the operation you're doing.

You can get an idea of the improvement by comparing the volk-profile
output for the generic kernel (coded in pure C) and the sse/avx ones.

For instance, on my laptop : for some very simple one (like float
add), the generic is barely slower than simd. Most likely because it's
so simple than even the compiler itself was able to simdize it by
itself.
But for other things (like complex multiply), the SIMD version is 10x faster ...

Cheers,

   Sylvain