Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Power Line Communications - GNURadio

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Power Line Communications - GNURadio
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 11:35:59 -0400

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 8:00 AM, Paul Creaser <address@hidden> wrote:
With regards to OFDM I have one question.

I have a 8 channel OFDM using 8PSK. To me a single symbol using 8PSK means 8
bits, hence one byte of data. Since I have 8 channels, that would mean 64
bytes. This would equate to a single OFDM symbol of 64 bytes?

No. 8PSK means that you have eight symbols in your alphabet that have different phases. So you have a constellation in complex space where you represent information in 8 points. The Number of bits you can represent with an alphabet of size 8 is log2(8) = 3 bits.

Going on further a payload of 16 OFDM symbols would mean 16*64 bytes of
data.

I'm not too sure of the relationship between bits, symbols and OFDM symbols
even though it appears to be simple.

Not really related to this question (I think Ron Economos has given you a good amount of detail there). But as for PLC, Nico Otterback from KIT has been doing work there for a while. He presented his work at GRCon14:

http://www.trondeau.com/grcon14-agenda/

Look for "GNU Radio for Power Line Communications".

Tom