Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 'Can't Avoid' fixes in current GNUradio 3.7.9.2

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 'Can't Avoid' fixes in current GNUradio 3.7.9.2
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 19:41:20 +0200

> I got an answer back that it is EPEL policy (much like RHEL) to not
> update to latest version unless it 'can't be avoided.'
It's not about not updating – it's about not breaking possible existing
usage! RH has to make sure that software stays binary-compatible, so
they can't use a different version if it has a different ABI.

GR changes ABI between revisions, and if you change ABI, you're expected
to offer a "-compat" package, even for EPEL. Since we don't do backports
for minor releases, there's no option to build such a package. The EPEL
maintainers hence probably won't update that package.
Central question here is why *you* can't live with 3.7.5; actual user
necessity be the main thing that someone might consider a reason that
"can't be avoided".

Really, CentOS 7 is pretty stable distro. If you need a version that
they don't offer, your best option probably really is to do the rpmbuild
dance, building your binaries from a modified SPEC file that uses the
GNU Radio source code version of your choice.

Best regards,
Marcus