Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSOC] A HTML-based GUI for GNU Radio application

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSOC] A HTML-based GUI for GNU Radio applications - How do I get started
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 14:32:22 +0100

Hi Feroz,

you've linked to the wrong project's ideas list, but that's not a problem. Just for the rest of the readers of this mailing list:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GSoCIdeas

So, to put it this plain: The GNU Radio project has a lot of people with experience in signal processing, but on the user interface side, things are a bit slim. So, we can help you a lot with the signal side – but from your (excellent, by the way) website, it seems you've got some experience with cognitive vision, and that might come with a lot of skills that are helpful with (1D) signals.

So, what you'd ideally bring is a bit of experience on how to write fast visualization things in _javascript_ – or at least a plan on what to look at, as well as to implement that with data coming from a server (which not necessarily is far away, might be running on the same machine for now).

To get a feeling on what you would implement as a web frontend, I'd recommend downloading one of the liveDVDs (the standard one is [1]), and clicking together a

signal source -> Throttle -> QT GUI Sink

flow graph.

To understand what's happening there, I'd say, start by reading the Guided Tutorials [2]. They'll hopefully explain. In essence, GNU Radio is a framework to shift around "chunks" of signal samples between blocks, and that means that the time intervals and sizes of the samples that hit the visualization sink are not uniform, you'd need to come up with a reasonable way of visualizing things.

I think in your proposal, should you decide to write one, you could elaborate a bit on what tools/libraries to use to implement the GNU Radio/server-side of things as well as how to partition the work between the _javascript_/HTML frontend and the Python/C++/GNU Radio backend (who decides what pixels to draw? Etc).

Hope that gives you something to start with,

Best regards,

Marcus

[1] http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GNURadioLiveDVD

[2] http://tutorials.gnuradio.org