Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bit rate and symbol rate in gnuradio

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bit rate and symbol rate in gnuradio
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 20:10:00 -0500

Hi Damodar - There is no block in GR that shows the actual bitrate data flow across it that I know of; wouldn't be difficult to create one, though the utility of it I'd wonder about. There is a throttle block that you'll want to use for any significant file lengths for your flowgraph, in which you can set the max average bitrate data flow through it. GNU Radio in and of itself has no real concept of time or bitrate -- thus for example your flowgraph will run as quickly as the system executing it can run it. The execution time will vary from system to system in this case, and depends on the CPU speed and memory and storage I/O rates. The concepts of time or bitrate are added via specialized blocks such as the throttle, or hardware-oriented blocks such as the audio sink / source or USRP sink / source (which provide and require specific input or output data rate settings). Hope this is useful! - MLD