double-click + shift help

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: double-click + shift help
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:02:48 +0100 (CET)

Hi - I am a bit lost with some minor things in the text code.

Can someone help me please ?

I think the following things are right:

 x  the user simple clicks on the text
    <insertion point is moved to where he clicked>

 x  the user double clicks on the text
    <selected word under mouse>

 x  the user triple clicks on the text
    <selected paragraph under mouse>

 x  the user simple clicks then drags.
    <selection changes as he drags, by characters>

 x  the user double clicks then drags.
    <selection changes as he drags, by words>

 x  the user triple clicks then drags.
    <selection changes as he drags, by paragraphs>

But I'm lost when it comes to more complex cases.  The macos doc says:

``For example, if the user selects a word by double-clicking, the
selection granularity is set to NSSelectByWord. Subsequent shift-clicks
then extend the selection by words.''

I don't understand exactly this description and in general I have no idea
how shift-clicking is supposed to work.  And - more importantly :-) - how
did this stuff work on the real nextstep ?

I thought that shift-clicking in general should extend the current
selection, so I guess that you would have to double-click a word to have
the word selected, then press shift, then double click while keeping shift
pressed on a near word to extend the selection to include the new word as
well - rather than resetting the selection to only include the new word.
Is this correct ?

But then does the macosx doc say that if you double click, then press
shift, then simply click on a near word while keeping shift pressed, the
selection is extended by word even if you are doing now a simple click ?