Re: root window

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: root window
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 19:18:34 +0100 (CET)

Enrico Sersale <enrico@imago.ro> wrote:
> > I want to create a kind of big shelf as that that is created by the
> > openstep Fiend.app.
> >
> > I want to do this also because I need a place where to put a Recycler; it
> > can't take place on the GWorkspace Fiend because I think it must be in a
> > fixed position.
> > But, now, the problem is that this window covers all the other windows
> > previously open, comprised the Window Maker Dock, the AppIcons, etc.
> >

> This was solved with: [self orderWindow: NSWindowBelow relativeTo: 0];
>
> But now: can somebody tell me how to force this window to remain at the
> lowest level ?
>
> Actually, if clicked, it brings to the front.
>
> Tried to return NO in __canBecomeMainWindow and in __canBecomeKeyWindow
> but no success...

You'll have to play with the window level:

   - (void) setLevel: (int)newLevel;

   [window setLevel:NSNormalWindowLevel-1];

However,  even if  the window  will not  cover the  others,  in higher
levels, making  it key or main  will change the state  of the previous
key or main window. That mean that you will probably want to take care
that this window never becomes key or main.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__    PGP Key ID:      0xEF5E9966                     (o_
mailto:pjb@imaginet.fr    PGP fingerprint: 00 F5 7B DB CA 51 8A AD 04 5B  //\

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email and Microsoft attachments.
/\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around the world.
   Join the LPF:     http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/      http://petition.eurolinux.org/