Re: Nuke libgmodel? (No!)

From: Georg Fleischmann
Subject: Re: Nuke libgmodel? (No!)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:46:36 +0100

Hi,

I'm porting a 150 000 line application to GNUstep, and I'm using gmodels
extensively. I wouldn't even consider hardcoding the Interface ;-)
With every new version of my application, I'm converting (automatically)
almost 90 nib files (two languages) from OpenStep to gmodel files, and I only
have to modify a few things by hand.

What I really like on the gmodel format is, that it is NOT binary: It is a
human readable ASCII format. I think this is a major advantage:

- editable by hand
- easily portable or convertable
- easy diagnoses of the cause of problems
- mostly independent to changes in the archiving code
- nobody is forced to use a specific Interface Builder

Especially Free Software people should value most of these advantages.

All the problems of nib2gmodel, are results of the binary nib files on
OpenStep and MacOSX.
Gorm files are binary as well, and this is a BIG BIG minus :-(

How about using the gmodel format in Gorm ?

Georg