Re: AppIcon patch revisited

From: Dan Pascu
Subject: Re: AppIcon patch revisited
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 05:09:50 +0200 (EET)

On  9 Feb, Dan Pascu wrote:
> On  8 Feb, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>>
>> I think I've finally got the appicon/miniwindow code sorted out neatly,
>> made to operate only when Window Maker is in use, and controllable by -
>> 'defaults write NSGlobalDomain UseWindowMakerIcons NO'
>>
>> What we get from this is -
>>
>> 1. placement of appicon/miniwindows under Window Maker control, so they
>> don't
>> overlap existing tiles on the screen
>> 2. the ability to place a GNUstep app in the Window maker dock.
>>
>> What we lose from this is -
>>
>> The ability to move the appicon/miniwindow under program control
>> The ability to handle drag-and-drop in appicon/miniwindows
>> The ability to make use of mouse actions inside appicon/miniwindows
>
> I don't quite understand why this is not possible. The window in the
> appicon belongs to gnustep, so it should have control over it to do
> whatever it likes, maybe except moving it. But if it implements dnd it

Sorry to reply to myself, but rereading this it just poped to me that
even moving may be possible, if gnustep stops relaying the left mouse
click to wmaker for the period when it wants to be able to control its
movement.
But if you control its movement wmaker will not know it moves and will
not try to dock it if it gets near the dock (wmaker tries to dock it
only while the appicon is dragged around by itself).

btw, why is appicon movement needed under program control (not user
control)?

--
Dan