Re: AppIcon patch revisited

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: AppIcon patch revisited
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 07:27:49 +0000

On Thursday, February 8, 2001, at 06:37 AM, Sungjin Chun wrote:

> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>
> > I think that to do the job properly (ie keep the gains, but not the losses)
> > we need
> > to modify Window Maker.
> >
> > At the moment, we have to hand over control of the appicon/miniwindows to
> > WindowMaker -
> > which is why we can't do anything with them (other than draw into them).
> >
> > What we actually need is a mechanism whereby we can treat the
> > appicon/miniwindows as
> > normal, but Window maker will keep track of their position and use that
> > information to
> > prevent other icons overlapping ours, and to permit dropping on to the
> > dock.
> >
> Can I forward this message to the WindowMaker Dev mailing list? They can
> do what we
> want. (Or else ... :-)

I think that the window maker mailing list would need more information ... in
particular
an explanation of why the Open Step API and the front-end/back-end architecture
of GNUstep
limits the ways in which apps can interact with the X system, and why this
means that
workarounds for problems are so tricky.

I also suspect that if we want something doing, we need to do it ourselves.