Re: GNUstep directory in userhome

From: Jonathan Gapen
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory in userhome
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 01:22:17 -0600

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> As far as I know, the advantage of initWithContentsOfFile: is mostly that it
> should
> make regression-testing easy (and we don't have regression tests for
> NSUserDefaults
> right now) - without risking messing up the testers defaults.

    Hmm, but if the code fails a regression test, how can you trust it
with your defaults?  :-)

> One thing that might not be easy to do with the windows registry (I
> don't know) is the periodic check to see if defaults have changed.

    There's the RegQueryInfoKey() function, which can return the last
write time of a registry key on Windows NT/2000.  Windows 95 users may
just be screwed, though.  (The doc I'm reading doesn't mention 98 or
ME.)  If anybody ever ports NSRunLoop to use native Windows events,
there's even RegNotifyChangeKeyValue(), which a process can use to
register to receive events when a key changes.

--
All persons, living or dead, are purely coincedental.