Re: GNUstep directory in userhome

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory in userhome
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:39:38 +0100

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" wrote:
> I don't know much  of LDAP, but it seems to be  that it's conceived to
> _publish_ directory information.

No, not only. LDAP is mostly used in exactly the same way like netinfo
(as an account database, entity registry).
Further LDAP servers usually have a *very* fine grained access control
(much more complex than Unix) ! Eg in OpenLDAP you can restrict access
on field level.

BTW: LDAP doesn't fit that well into EOF design since it breaks
key-value coding to some degree since it allows multiple values per key.

> How could he
> be sure  that private data stored  into a LDAP server,  which could be
> replicated to other LDAP servers, would be kept private ?

The replication server usually logs into the LDAP server as some kind of
user. You can give or not give such users access to fields/records/...

Helge
--
SKYRIX Software AG - http://www.skyrix.com/
Visit us at CeBIT: hall 4 / booth E52,(414)