Re: GNUstep on Darwin

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Darwin
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 17:57:14 +0200

LHelldorf@kabel.de wrote:

Hi, I try to build GNUstep on Darwin 1.2.1.
As a Guide I use http://www.made-it.com/GNUstep/Build/ from Dennis Leeuw which is very helpfull.

At first I tried to build gnustep-make from gnustep-make-0.9.2.tar.gz.
I unzipped and untared this archive then I entered "./configure --prefix=/opt/GNUstep" which resulted in the message that my machine could not be recognized.
I found config.guess as the source of the problem. Luckily there is a newer config.guess in /usr/libexec/ of the Darwin Installation. I replaced your config.guess with the config.guess from Darwin and - whoops - it recognized my machine! I can send you a copy of this config.guess if you want to include it into your source tree.
But I fear that's not all. configure brought some errors concerning Darwin. It said something about Darwin to be unknown or the like. Is this important? What can be done about it?

my second question is:
http://www.made-it.com/GNUstep/Build/gsmake.html it says:
>If you are using the bash or sh shell type:
>. /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
>If you are using csh do:
>. /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.csh
>Add the line also to all the .profile files of the users that are going to use GNUstep.
Where has this .profile file to be located (I didn't found one on my Darwin Installation)?

.profile is the file that contains the setting for that specific user and is read as soon as a shell starts and is located in the home directory of the user. Normally /home/<username>
This is contrary to the generic profile file that lives in /etc which contains the settings that apply to every user.

It might be that this file does not exist, so you could create it. Other name for the same file: .bash_profile

Greetings,

Dennis Leeuw