libgstep_guile.so.1 in wrong location?

From: Steve Núñez
Subject: libgstep_guile.so.1 in wrong location?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:07:31 +0000

All,

I'm going through this installation for the second time around, and have
noticed that the 'make check' in guile fails with:

make[4]: Nothing to be done for `internal-tool-all'.
shared_obj/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps/go -c '(load "test.scm")'
shared_obj/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps/go: error while loading shared
libraries: libgstep_guile.so.1: cannot load shared object file: No such file or
directory

this library actually was installed in
/opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu-xgps/, along with
things like libgnustep-base.so.0.9.3 (that brings up another question: if this
is gnustep-base-1.0.0, why is the library named 0.9.3?). Should these libraries
be placed in /opt/GNUStep/System/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu with the others? If
not, then what are the proper lines for /etc/ld.so.conf? Do we place both of
the directories in /ld.so.conf? Or is the convention to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH? In
the latter case, it would be nice if the GNUStep.sh script was updated to
reflect this as new libraries are installed in different locations?

Regards,
        - Steve